How to complete the calculator
Developed by an academic team at our South East Hub, the University of Brighton, the Clean Growth UK Carbon Calculator is comprehensive and rigorous.
Your calculation will cover all 3 scopes of carbon emissions, as detailed in the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Scope 1 involves emissions that you create directly, such as burning gas for heating.
- Scope 2 involves emissions that you create indirectly, such as through generating the electricity you use.
- Scope 3 involves indirect emissions, such as those created in your supply chain.
To complete your calculation, you’ll need to gather a range of data on your energy usage, waste, and other activities involved in running your business.
- The tool is comprehensive and covers a wide range of business activities. There will be some sections that aren’t relevant to all businesses. If sections aren’t relevant to you, it’s fine to leave them blank.
- It’s important to complete as much as possible so you get the most accurate picture you can. But if you can’t get hold of the data you need, you can leave those sections blank too.
- You’ll be asked to select a reporting year. It’s important that all the data you provide relates to the same reporting year.
- You don’t have to do it all in one go. You can save progress and come back to it.
Use the menu bar on the left-hand side to navigate through each data entry step.
On the next page you’ll see a list of the data you’ll need to gather.